BY THOMAS P. HAMMERBERG
How well do you know the requirements for emergency communications
1. Which chapter of NFPA 72 contains the requirements
systems? Take this quiz and test your knowledge. Answers are on
page 103. To take the quiz electronically, visit
for emergency communications systems?
2. The means of occupant notification within a building is
described as Layer ________.
3. For in-building, fire-emergency voice/alarm
communications systems employing relocation or partial
evacuation, a Level ________ pathway survivability shall
2 or 3
4. Pathway survivability levels for in-building mass
notification systems shall be ________.
a. Level 2
b. Level 3
c. Level 2 or 3
d. Determined by risk analysis
5. Control units installed as part of a mass notification
system shall be listed to which UL standard?
a. UL 864
b. UL 2017
c. UL 2572
d. Any of the above
6. In areas where sleeping accommodations are
provided, but the voice communications system is used
to communicate with occupants who are awake, the
low-frequency tone shall not be required.
7. Secondary power for high-power speaker arrays in
wide-area mass notification systems shall be a minimum of
________ hours in standby and ________ hours in alarm.
8. Where no listed speaker exists to achieve the
intelligibility requirements of the code, nonlisted
speakers are permitted to be installed.
9. An emergency response plan shall be developed in
accordance with NFPA ________.
d. 1600 and 1620
10. Evacuation signals are required to operate in elevator
cars, exit stair enclosures and exit passageways.
HAMMERBERG, SET, CFPS is president of Hammerberg & Associates Inc. He serves as the Automatic Fire Alarm Association (AFAA) Inc.’s technical director. Tom represents AFAA on a number of NFPA committees. He is also a member of the ICC
Industry Advisory Committee. He can be reached at