QUIZ BY JIM HAYES
1. What makes a smart city “smart”?
A. A forward-looking city council
B. Cellular coverage
C. The internet of things
D. A comprehensive communications infrastructure
2. Smart city communications infrastructure
consists of ________.
A. A fiber optic backbone
B. Extensive cellular coverage
C. Wi-Fi and wireless emergency networks
D. All of the above
3. Most cell sites are already connected to the phone and
internet with ________.
A. Line-of-sight wireless
B. Underground copper phone lines
C. Fiber optic backhaul networks
4. Cities are installing new cellular “small cells” that are
about ________ times more densely spaced than current
5. A new cellular architecture called “fronthaul” simplifies
a cellular network by eliminating electronics between the
central office and the cell site.
6. Smart cities need ________ to attract big data centers.
A. High-capacity internet connections
B. A lot of space
C. Empty, cheap, old buildings
D. Free parking
7. Intelligent traffic systems can speed up the movement of
traffic and prepare for self-driving vehicles, but they will
likely require ________.
A. A single-mode fiber optic communications backbone
B. Video and sensors for locating vehicles, pedestrians,
C. Smart traffic signals and signs to communicate
D. All of the above
8. The policy recommended by the U.S. government called
“Dig Once” refers to ________.
A. Burying extra fiber conduits when any services
are installed underground
B. Limiting the number of vendors installing
C. Installing enough fibers for a century or more
D. Using microtrenching for underground cables
9. Smart cities generate large amounts of data that must be
stored and analyzed to enable the city to benefit from it.
10. Fiber-to-the-home cable plant architecture for passive
optical networks installed in a smart city ________.
A. Is unique and cannot be shared with other services
B. Should be isolated from other networks for security
C. Can be shared with other communications systems
such as small cells
D. Has a shorter lifetime due to changes in service
HA YES is a VDV writer and educator and the president of the Fiber Optic Association. Find him at www. JimHayes.com.
What Makes a Smart City ‘Smart’?
Everybody says becoming a smart city is the way for metropolitan areas to succeed in the future.
But what is a “smart” city and what makes it that way?
ANSWERS ARE ON PAGE 127. TO TAKE THE QUIZ ELECTRONICALLY, VISIT WWW.ECMAG.COM.