BY THOMAS P. HAMMERBERG
Interfacing Fire Alarms With Other Systems
How well do you know the requirements for integrating fire
1. According to NFPA 90A, duct smoke detectors must
alarm systems with other equipment? Answers are on page 103.
To take the quiz electronically, visit www.ecmag.com.
be installed on the supply side of air handler units over
_____ cubic feet per minute (cfm).
2. According to NFPA 90A, duct smoke detectors must
be installed on the return side of air handler units over
_____ cfm and serving more than one story.
3. The primary purpose of a smoke detector installed in an
4. A smoke detector located in an elevator lobby to initiate
elevator hoistway is to _____.
a. Shut off the elevator power
b. Recall the elevator to the appropriate level
c. Notify elevator occupants the elevator is no
longer safe to use
elevator recall must be installed within _____ feet of
each elevator door.
5. A mass notification system signal is allowed to take
precedence over alarm signals _____.
7. When a smoke detector installed to close a smoke
c. When activated locally
d. When evaluated through a risk analysis
6. When a carbon monoxide (CO) system is interfaced with
a fire alarm system, a(n) _____ signal is generated upon
b. CO alarm
damper is tested during a periodic test, fire alarm
personnel are required to verify the correct operation
of the damper.
8. When a kitchen hood system is monitored by a fire alarm
system, a(n) _____ signal is generated upon activation.
9. When a fire sprinkler water-flow switch is monitored by
a fire alarm system, it must activate an alarm signal at
the fire alarm panel within _____ seconds.
10. When a dedicated-function fire alarm system is installed
to monitor a fire sprinkler system, the code requires any
duct smoke detectors installed in the heating, ventilating
and air conditioning system to be connected to the fire
HAMMERBERG, SET, CFPS is president of Hammerberg & Associates Inc. He serves as the Automatic Fire Alarm Association (AFAA) Inc.’s technical director. Tom represents AFAA on a number of NFPA committees. He is also a member of the ICC
Industry Advisory Committee. He can be reached at TomHammerberg@gmail.com.