> IN NOVEMBER 2015,
the Associated General
Contractors (AGC) announced a short but
comprehensive list of 13 steps to improve
workplace safety. According to an AGC
press release, “The new safety measures
were needed to address a growing influx
of new and inexperienced workers that is
contributing to an increase in the number
of construction fatalities.”
The recommendations, “ 13 Proven
Steps to Improve Construction Worker
In studying the awards program, the
AGC and Willis looked at what makes
winning firms’ safety programs effective
and then distilled this information
down into what AGC terms “easy-to-
implement steps that are proven to
The 13 steps are organized into three
1. Establish a buddy system for all
2. Hold safety orientation sessions for
all new hires.
3. Ensure managers and supervisors
have the appropriate leadership and
effective communication skills critical
to instill safety culture and concepts
into the workforce.
4. Institute two separate pretask hazard-analysis training programs (one for the
crew and one for first-line supervisors).
5. Hold monthly lunch-and-learn safety
6. Require all foremen and
superintendents to attend Leadership in
Safety Excellence certification courses.
7. Hold targeted safety training to
address all safety incidents.
8. Ensure all safety training and safety
materials are in the languages of the
9. Train your trainers.
10. Create task-specific “pocket safety
guides” for every task that workers
11. Establish craft-specific safety-mentoring programs.
12. Issue easy-to-read badges to all
workers, indicating training level.
13. Authorize all workers to issue “Stop
Work” cards to address safety risks.
Safety Steps for 2016 13
847-455-0188 garvinindustries.com ELECTRICAL MANUFACTURER
LED Templights 6" Square Boxes/Covers Magnetic Bridle Rings
No Slip Breaker Fillers Stainless Liquid Tight Connectors 50% OFF All Weatherproof Products
• Brightest & Lightest • 40w, 60w, 80w, 100w or 120w • 35,000 Hours, Shatter Proof Lamp • 1-1/2", 2-1/2" & 3-1/2" Deep • All Standard KO’s Available • Customize Your Design • Fastest Cable Install! • Black or White • 16 lbs Pull Strength
• Save Time... Works on all 1" Breakers • Never Slips Off Cover! Peel & Snap
$149.00 Starting At $1.79 Starting At
$.99each • 1/2" to 2" • Proven Lifetime Protection in Wet Locations • Available in Straight or 90° Styles
Free Sa e
EC-HalfPage_01-2016.qxp_Layout 1 12/17/15 3: 57 PM Page 1