BY THOMAS P. HAMMERBERG
How well do you know the documentation requirements for fire alarm
systems? Take this quiz, and test your knowledge. Answers are on page
95. To take the quiz electronically, visit
1. Voltage-drop calculations are required for _____ circuits.
2. All fire alarm drawings shall use symbols described
in NFPA _____ or other symbols acceptable to the
authority having jurisdiction.
3. A test plan provides information about _____.
a. Which devices will be tested
b. Which devices will not be tested
c. How devices will be tested
d. All of the above
4. The Record of Completion is required to use the form
described in NFPA 72.
5. Design documents shall include ambient sound-pressure
levels and audible design sound-pressure levels.
6. Floor-plan drawings are required to include identification
8. Required documents regarding system design and
of any ceiling more than _____ feet in height.
7. If necessary, the system’s _____ shall, on an annual basis,
review any electronic documentation media formats and
associated interfacing hardware for compatibility and update.
d. Test and inspection personnel
function shall be maintained for _____.
a. One year
b. Two years
c. Five years
d. The life of the system
9. The system-riser drawing shall include the type
and number of system components/devices on each
circuit, on each floor or level.
10. All record documentation shall be stored in the
HAMMERBERG, SE T, CFPS is president of Hammerberg & Associates Inc. He serves as the Automatic Fire Alarm Association (AFAA) Inc.’s technical director. Tom represents AFAA on a number of NFPA committees. He is also a member of the ICC
Industry Advisory Committee. He can be reached at