BY THOMAS P. HAMMERBERG
The Latest Requirements
How well do you know the fire alarm requirements of the 2015
1. In a Group A occupancy, an emergency voice/alarm
International Building Code and InternationalFire Code? Take this quiz to
test your knowledge. Answers are on page 95. To take the quiz in an
electronic format, visit www.ecmag.com.
communication system is required when the occupant
load is ________.
a. 300 or greater
b. Greater than 300
c. 1,000 or greater
d. Greater than 1,000
2. A manual fire alarm system is not required in a Group E
occupancy with an occupant load of ________ or fewer.
3. Smoke alarms shall be installed not less than ________
feet horizontally from the door or opening of a bathroom
that contains a bathtub or shower unless this would
prevent placement of a required smoke alarm.
4. In an R- 1 occupancy (hotel) with 125 sleeping rooms,
how many of those rooms would require a strobe light
to be installed?
5. An approved supervising station shall monitor all required
fire alarm systems.
6. Each floor shall be zoned separately, and a zone shall
not exceed ________ square feet.
7. Where other sections of this code allow elimination
of fire alarm boxes due to sprinklers, a single fire
alarm box shall be installed.
8. Institutional Group I- 2 includes all of the following
facilities except ________.
a. Assisted living facilities
c. Nursing homes
d. Foster care facilities
9. Where the total floor area exceeds ________ square
feet within either a covered mall building or within the
perimeter line of an open mall building, an emergency
voice/alarm communication system shall be provided.
10. Fire alarm systems requirements for existing buildings
are found in Chapter ________.
HAMMERBERG, SE T, CFPS is president of Hammerberg & Associates Inc. He serves as the Automatic Fire Alarm Association (AFAA) Inc.’s technical director. Tom represents AFAA on a number of NFPA committees. He is also a member of the ICC
Industry Advisory Committee. He can be reached TomHammerberg@gmail.com.