BY THOMAS P. HAMMERBERG
Inspection and Testing
Test your knowledge of the latest inspection and testing requirements
of the 2016 NFPA 72. Answers are on page 95. To take the most
recent quiz electronically, visit
1. Fire alarm systems unmonitored for alarm, supervisory
and trouble signals shall be inspected _____.
2. Air-sampling system piping and sampling ports are
required to be inspected _____.
d. At initial acceptance only
3. When annually testing firefighter telephone circuits,
you are required to operate the system with _____.
a. Each handset individually
b. A minimum of two handsets simultaneously
c. A minimum of three handsets simultaneously
d. A minimum of five handsets simultaneously
4. Radiant energy fire detector sensitivity is required
to be tested _____.
5. Supervisory control valve switches are required
to be tested _____.
6. When testing for circuit integrity on an initial acceptance
test, you are required to test a minimum of _____ percent
of the devices on each circuit.
7. The service provider shall report to the authority having
jurisdiction any system that is out of service for more
than _____ hours.
8. Failure of any audio amplifier shall report a trouble signal
when _____. (Choose 2)
a. Primary power is available
b. Either primary or secondary power is available
c. The system is in alarm, and primary power is
d. The system is in alarm, and secondary power is
9. You are required to report the results of a fire alarm test
on the NFPA 72 Record of Inspection and Testing.
10. The purpose of periodic fire alarm system testing is
a. Ensure system operation is in accordance
with design documents
b. Statistically ensure operational reliability
c. Ensure the installation meets code requirements
d. Visibly identify changes that might affect
HAMMERBERG, SE T, CFPS, is president of Hammerberg & Associates Inc. Retired from the Automatic Fire Alarm Association (AFAA) after 23 years, he continues to represent the AFAA on the NFPA 72 Technical Correlating Committee and Protected Premises Technical Committee and as a contract instructor. He can be reached at